Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Merging Subtitles in Video Files with DivXConverter

I recently discovered this cool program, DivXConverter, which I didn't find in my Ubuntu distribution (you can download the .deb file, though, and install the required dependencies), but that's really useful and easy to use.

"DivX converter is a simple Mencoder frontend to Produce DivX Player Compatible AVI video format with the ability to merge subtitles . It support many video and audio filters and many presets."
Now, the interesting features I've just used is the ability of merging a subtitle file (typically .srt) into a corresponding AVI file.

Here's what to do (see also the following screenshot):
  1. Add the avi file (and select the output folder and the compression, I left the default Normal compression)
  2. Make sure to select Xvid in the "Video Filters" tab to make sure the resulting avi is compatible with dvd/divx readers (at least the with ones I own)
  3. You can leave the default settings for Audio
  4. Select the subtitle file (I set ASCII as the encoding)
  5. Go back to the main window
  6. Press "Convert" and enjoy the resulting AVI file




No comments: