Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Debian, Cups & Xerox Phaser (stopped with status 22)

I had previously posted on this blog about this Xerox printer, a Phaser 4500 DT (by using the drivers found on their website). I had solved a problem under Gentoo, but now I've experienced other problems under Debian, after I upgraded these drivers downloaded from Xerox website.

By taking a look at the log /var/log/cups/error_log, I found this line again:

PID xxxx stopped with status 22
This time the problem was with the wrong filter used in the ppd of the printer, in particular this line of XRX_Phaser_4500dx.ppd:
*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 pstoxeroxps"
which needs to be changed into
*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"
Now everything seems to work :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for this, I'd been battling with this issue for most of the day (RHEL4.4 and CUPS). But up came your page after a Google search and I can now go home and chill :) Cheers - Mark from the UK.

betto said...

Happy to hear this!
Hope to see you round here again :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this!

i have been having so much trouble with this stuff, its not even funny. I have had this problem a few times in the past actually and i had to have someone come and fix it thanks to you i did it myself!

Cheers!
Serena